Thursday, November 12, 2009

There's not room in this place for the X of us!

Last night I lay awake listening to the scampering of little feet in our ceiling. Yes, in our ceiling. With my covers pulled up to my chin, I tried to count the trajectories and picture where the little mice were skittering off to (while curling my toes away from the edges of the bed).

We have an infestation. As the weather has cooled and the leaves have begun to whip wildly around the yard, the number of little feet in our ceiling has increased. The first day I realized we had mice, I heard a scuffle in our kitchen and crept out of the bedroom like a ninja, quiet and deadly. I expected anything from a burglar to...to...I don't know. What could possibly be making a kerfuffle in my kitchen? Then I heard squeaks. I brought out my chopping hand and stealthily proceeded towards the sound, only to jump and scream wildly around the room and on top of our couches when the little creature darted out from lurking behind the oven to scurrying around the corner. So cliche. You'd have thought it was Godzilla. I then proceeded to shove my entire pantry into the fridge and freezer. We still have chocolate chips in our veggie crisper, dried lentils next to our milk, spindly angel hair pasta stacked neatly in the ice box, and bags and bags of rice shoved into the corners of the fridge.

After setting up traps laden with peanut butter and catching about 6 between us and our landlords, I thought the critters had struck out for less dangerous, less snappy territory. Until last night.

So, now I am considering my mother's suggestion that I make little homespun clothes for them and invite them into the kitchen for a singing cleaning extravaganza. Given how badly the pair of pants I made for Jude turned out, I think they might turn up their little whiskery, pink noses at me.

I probably would too.

10 comments:

Jodi Reeve said...

The first winter at our house in OH we had a mouse problem. I bought this little gadget at home depot that you plug in and it vibrates sound waves so high that the mice can't stand it. It takes 24 hours to start working, I think. It cost about $30, but we used it for 3 winters and never had a mouse again. We also caught 3 of them with a trap before this. And I learned they can climb, we found evidence of them on the steps and upstairs. Good luck! And your little guy is adorable!

Mike and Emily said...

Thanks, Jodi! We may look into that. I can't stand the thought of mice...

David and Melanie said...

first of all I absolutely love reading your words. You're fantastic! I can just see you in your stealth and then frantic upon the couch. second, good job on your pants attempt. its ashame you don't have a girl, skirts require less accuracy (which is how I've gotten away with it). And I'm with your mom sing a "happy working song" and the mice will help you with your extra household chores. And lastly, my parents get mice anytime they don't keep a cat, which is why we've never been without them. Good luck!

NessaAnn said...

Your pants totally match my magenta velvet shirt. We should get together and sew ugly, ill fitting clothes together over the holidays, don't you think?

NessaAnn said...

Oh, that sounded too judgmental. Our clothing isn't ugly, just ill fitting. That's better. My shirt was lovely, just seven sizes too small. "ugly and ill-fitting" just has such a nice ring to it.

Stephanie said...

Oh Em, how I wish I could have seen that little scenario. I was just giggling the whole time I read it, but I know I would've done the same thing.

Deja said...

Those pants made me giggle. Kudos on the attempt.

And kerfuffle is such an excellent word. I mean, if you have to deal with such mousy unpleasantness, at least it's good you have a clever word for it. That magical vibrations thing sounds, well, magical.

Danny and Veronica said...

Well, the pants DO make him look pretty buff;) And, wow, you guys are brave to be capturing all those mice. I hope they move soon!

dannii said...

haha - i kind of thoguth he was just wearing three diapers under the pants. i am finding boy stuff a little less forgiving than girl stuff too but i'm still excited.

the creepy thing about mice is they can flatten themselvs out to the width of a few sheets of paper (so i've been told) - we had one at work. they caught it. i should have made it some clothes too. maybe he wouldn't have chewed through two layers of metal and left "presents" everywhere (shivers).

so yeah, bangkok. we've got to talk! jude will need to get a passport to come ride some elephants with suckdoodle purdy!

HegstromPrattFamily said...

Right after we say "The Sixth Sense" the first time, little Joseph told Dale one night, "there's a guy in our kitchen." It freaked Dale out, but he told Joseph, "no, there's not." When they went to the kitchen, Dale said, "see, there's no guy here." Then the mouse scurried across the floor and Joseph said, "see, the guy, the guy."

I think making little sweat pants and sweat shirts for boys is a good sewing project to start with. When we get home, I could draw you a pattern if you like. (I did giggle about the photo.)